Summer at last!


And for me that means get-down-to-writing time!  What a joy!  


For now . . .

Maybe I won't be saying that when I fully realize that writing day after day is every bit the solitary act that it really is.  My head knows that, but the rest of me says, Yeah, but still, give me this as a full time career and I'd be happy as a clam.

My head:  Uh-huh.  Talk to me in August.

That self-argument aside, I'm so excited to have time to sit down and read one of the resources I ordered from the museum in Cherokee, NC.  It's called Voices from The Trail of Tears, by Vicki Rozema.  I could hug that lady!  She's put together one of the nicest pieces of eyewitness accounts I've seen.  It's so readable.  She's included journal entries from soldiers who are viewing the Cherokee removal in 1838 from a military viewpoint; journal entries from missionaries, who are bleeding hearts for their friends, the Cherokees, and are on the trail with them; and a journal section from a prominent Cherokee. She's included letters from politicians and newspaper articles of that day and time, reflecting the anglo viewpoint; and an editorial written by the editor of the Cherokee newspaper.  There's tons more, all adding up to a well-rounded, firsthand look at the Trail of Tears.  

This is just the kind of thing I've been searching for!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home